THE GUEST
By Ellen Valentine
CAST OF CHARACTERS
MR.
MILTON, a father, works at the local real estate office, first name is Michael,
called Mike
MRS.
MILTON, a feminist and mother, works for a non-profit, first name is Elizabeth,
called Lizzie.
ZACHARY
MILTON, a 17 year-old son, unsure of his future, but a loving family member
CAROLINE
MILTON, a 14 year-old daughter, focused on sports
THE
GUEST, an unexpected visitor
SETTINGS
The backyard of the
Miltons’ house
The
Miltons’ house: stage right is showing part a small part of the front yard,
stage is divided by a wall that holds the front door of the house. The majority
of the stage is taken up by the interior of the house that is holding a room
that looks like a mix of a living room and a dining room. There is a table that
could fit 4-6 chairs, pictures around the room, an end table or two with random
things on it.
SCENE 1
It
is midmorning. CAROLINE and ZACHARY are in the yard passing a soccer ball
between them. CAROLINE is wearing straight leg jeans with rips in the knees and
fitted, but not tight, t-shirt. ZACHARY is wearing shorts and a t-shirt. The
yard is to the side of the house, it should be clear that they do not live in
an urban city. Light bird chirping is heard.
ZACHARY
Carrie. C’mon, pass
the ball!
CAROLINE
Nope! You gotta come
get it.
ZACHARY
(Smiling)
Seriously?
CAROLINE
(Running away with the ball)
Yeah. Seriously.
ZACHARY starts
to chase CAROLINE. They run around for a while, in a playful mood, and stop.
I’m thirsty, go get
us some lemonade or something.
ZACHARY
Why do I have to get
it?
CAROLINE
Because you’re my
nice older brother and you love me so much.
ZACHARY
Whatever.
ZACHARY goes offstage, returns
after a short pause. Comes back onstage holding two small cans of V8.
We’re out of
lemonade. All we have is V8.
ZACHARY tosses CAROLINE one of
the cans, then opens his.
MRS. MILTON
(Walking on stage)
Kids, come on, the
farmer’s market is closing in an hour. I don’t want to have to go to Safeway.
(Muttering
to herself)
Stupid greedy
corporations.
CAROLINE
(Whining)
But we’re
practicing!
MRS. MILTON
Caroline! You have
time to practice later, now go clean yourself up and be ready in five minutes.
ZACHARY
Come on, Carrie, we
can practice more later.
CAROLINE
Fine.
CAROLINE walks off stage, annoyed. ZACHARY
and MRS. MILTON follow her off-stage, rolling eyes. ZACHARY grabs the soccer
ball. End scene.
SCENE 2
At
the farmer’s market. There are a few stalls set up on stage. VENDORS are
yelling things such as “Fresh apples here!” or “Organic honey, fresh from the
hive!” with signs advertising their products. There is one other couple looking
at a fruit and vegetable stand. ZACHARY, CAROLINE, and MRS. MILTON enter.
MRS. MILTON
Okay, Carrie, you
get the apples, Zach, you can get the lettuce. Here, take some money, meet me
back here when you’re done.
Hands CAROLINE and ZACHARY each
a few bills.
CAROLINE
Hey, mom, we’re
making pie tonight right?
MRS. MILTON
Why do you think I
told you to buy the apples?
CAROLINE
Yes!
(Exits)
ZACHARY
Pie? Again?
MRS. MILTON
It’s your sister’s
favorite, and it’s not bad, so we might as well.
ZACHARY
Yeah, I know. But
really, every week?
MRS. MILTON
Yes! Now go get the
lettuce before they close.
ZACHARY exits, MRS. MILTON looks around at
the stands, buys a few things from one stand, and exits. End scene.
SCENE 3
In
the Milton household, MR. MILTON is sitting at the table either going through
mail or paying bills. MRS. MILTON, CAROLINE, and ZACHARY walk in holding tote
bags full of groceries from the farmers market.
MRS. MILTON
Hey honey, could you
give me a hand?
MR. MILTON
Course. Give me a
few seconds...
MR. MILTON organizes his
papers, stands. Takes bags from MRS. MILTON and puts them on the table.
CAROLINE and ZACHARY put the bags they’re holding on the table. MR. MILTON
gives MRS. MILTON a greeting kiss on the cheek.
CAROLINE
Hey, mom. I’m gonna
get changed then go on my run, what time’s dinner?
MRS. MILTON
Be back by 6:30
CAROLINE
Zach, you coming
with?
ZACHARY
You go on, I’m going
to help mom with dinner.
CAROLINE
Kay. See you.
CAROLINE exits.
MRS. MILTON
Zach, you can go
read or something, I’ll call you down when I need you.
ZACHARY nods, then exits.
MR. MILTON
How’s your day
going?
MRS. MILTON
Better
now that I actually have time with you. We should take weeks off more often.
MR. MILTON
We
definitely should. How’s Zach doing?
MRS. MILTON
He’s
okay. He still seems different. I don’t really know what’s wrong, it just seems
like he’s lost his drive. I’m really starting to worry about him. He just
brushes me off every time I try to talk to him about it. I mean, am I doing
something wrong? I just want to be able to talk to my son again.
MR. MILTON
It’s
not you. He’s just a teenage boy. It takes them a while to get over things like
this. We just have to give him the time to get over it in his own way.
MRS. MILTON
I
just want my son back.
MR. MILTON
We’re
just going to have to wait a little bit longer. We’ve already talked to three doctors;
they said he’s going to be just fine. They said things like this happen all the
time, remember? He knows we love him no matter what, so we just have to wait
for him. He’ll let us know when he’s
ready.
Pause.
MRS. MILTON seems to accept this. The weight of his words fill up the time.
MRS. MILTON
Carrie’s
going to make the team this year, I think she’s really going to do it. She
knows what she wants.
MR. MILTON
Well,
we have always told her to do whatever will make her happy. Do you expect any
less?
MRS. MILTON
No,
but we’ve told both of them.
MR. MILTON
I
know you’re concerned, but you really needn’t worry. You have to stop thinking
about it.
MRS. MILTON
I
just want him to be comfortable around us, you know? I want to feel like a
family again.
MR. MILTON
I
know, honey. I know.
MR.
MILTON wraps his arms around MRS. MILTON. They stay still for a beat. End
scene.
SCENE 4
In
the Milton Household, MRS. MILTON is drying the last dish and stacking it on
the counter, she exits, as if going to bed. The lights dim and cricket chirping
is heard. It is made to look like night. This passes for about a minute,
followed by a flash of lightning with the accompanying sound of thunder. THE
GUEST is at the front door and pounds his fist on the door, loud enough to wake
someone. MRS. MILTON is seen rushing in from off-stage, putting a dressing gown
over her nightdress.
MRS. MILTON
Hold your horses.
I’m on my way! Jesus.
Making her ways towards the
door, THE GUEST pounds on the door again.
I said I’m on my
way! For fuck’s sake it’s nearly two in the morning...
MRS. MILTON opens the door.
Umm... Hi?
THE GUEST
Hello. My name is Mark.
MRS. MILTON
(Confused as to why she is
saying this, sounds like a question)
Please. Come in.
THE GUEST walks into the Milton
household and starts to look around, picks up a few pictures, something that is
clearly about the family. MRS. MILTON follows him, and seems to be in a daze
from this point on. There is an obvious change in the way she carries herself.
Umm... I’m sorry,
who are you?
THE GUEST
I’ve already
introduced myself, haven’t I? Jacob.
They shake hands.
MRS. MILTON
Lizzie.
THE GUEST
Pleasure to meet
you, Elizabeth. Now, how about some coffee?
MRS. MILTON
Of course. Umm. Wait
here a minute. Make yourself at home.
THE GUEST
(Smiling)
No problem at all.
Take your time, dear.
MRS. MILTON exits. THE GUEST
walks around the area a little bit, looks more at things laying around the
room, laughs to himself at a few of them. He sits down, wait about 30 seconds.
MRS. MILTON re-enters holding two mugs.
MRS. MILTON
I hope you weren’t
waiting too long.
THE GUEST
Not at all.
Uncomfortable silence. Both
drink from mugs. MRS. MILTON almost immediately perks up, as if she just
remembered something.
MRS. MILTON
Where are my manners?
Can I get you anything else? Something to eat?
THE GUEST
Oh no, please don’t
worry. You’re so close to being a perfect host.
MRS. MILTON
Forgive me, please,
but I seem to have forgotten your name.
THE GUEST
William.
MRS. MILTON looks confused, but
reigns herself in.
MRS. MILTON
Right, of course,
how could I forget?
THE GUEST
Now, dear, tell me
about your family. Are these pictures recent? You all seem very happy.
THE GUEST picks up one of the
pictures, looks at it intently
MRS. MILTON
Those were taken a
few years ago. That’s Carrie, and there’s Zach, and me, and my husband, Mike.
THE GUEST
Elizabeth, Caroline,
Zachary, and Michael. All beautiful names for a beautiful family.
MRS. MILTON
Umm... Thank you, William.
May I call you Will?
THE GUEST
If you must. Now,
about your family. Caroline seems like a nice girl. What does she do with her
time?
MRS. MILTON
Oh, she’s a very
driven girl. She definitely knows what she wants to do with life. She wants to
play professional soccer. She’s plays midfield on her school’s team and she’s
incredible. No, I’m not worried about her at all. Now Zach, though–
THE GUEST
Oh, no, no, no. That
won’t do. Our dear Caroline wants to play professional sports? We can’t have
that now, can we?
MRS. MILTON
Shouldn’t she just
do what she wants in life? Why can’t she follow her dream?
THE GUEST
Elizabeth, darling. That
is no way to raise a lady. Come, now. Each one takes time, we need to act
slowly. Tell me more about Caroline
MRS. MILTON
She was always a
talker, always knew what she wanted. Even when she was a little girl. She had–
Wait. Why am I telling you this?
THE GUEST
Because, Elizabeth,
you need to.
End scene.
Much later, time gap and multiple scenes in between.
-->
SCENE #
It
is midday outside of the Milton household. CAROLINE is wearing a button down
blouse and her regular shorts or jeans. She is sitting by the tree in the front
yard next to her cleats and soccer ball, reading, instead of practicing with ZACHARY.
ZACHARY is dressed as he was in Scene 1, with added dirt and messiness. He
still seems normal and is acting like his usual self.
ZACHARY
(walking
from offstage towards CAROLINE)
Carrie.
What are you wearing? Didn’t you want me to help you practice.
CAROLINE
I’m
reading, Zach. Leave me alone. Chris said I should.
ZACHARY
Who
the hell is Chris?!
CAROLINE
Seriously?
I didn’t realize you were that unobservant. Gabriel. The guy who’s been staying
with us for three days now?
ZACHARY
Okay.
Fine. Gabriel, now, I guess. News to me. So where is this ‘Gabriel’?
THE
GUEST enters from the off-stage, seemingly coming from the house.
THE GUEST
Zachary,
please, call me John.
ZACHARY
(rolls
eyes, fed up)
Whatever.
Carrie, I’ll be inside if you need me.
ZACHARY
makes motions to go back inside.
THE GUEST
Zachary!
Wait!
ZACHARY
stops, turns around, and walks over to THE GUEST.
Caroline,
please excuse us, dear.
CAROLINE
picks up her book, leaves the soccer gear and exits.
Something
seems to be troubling you. Talk to me, let me help you.
ZACHARY
(Sarcasm)
Really?
You’re trying to ‘help’ me. Sir. You are the cause of the problem, so no, I
don’t think you can help.
THE GUEST
Zachary,
Zachary, Zachary. I can help, really. Can’t you see how I’ve helped your family
so far? Look how happy they all are!
ZACHARY
That? That’s not happy. That’s soulless.
THE GUEST
Zachary,
please, let’s be civil, shall we? Let’s start afresh. Introduce yourself.
ZACHARY
(Rolls
eyes and scoffs)
Yeah.
I’ll pass.
THE GUEST
(Sternly)
Now,
Zachary. Let’s. Be. Civil. Introduce yourself. Humor me.
ZACHARY
(Nervously)
Um...
I’m Zach.
THE GUEST
Pleasure
to meet you, Zachary. It really is. I am Noah.
ZACHARY
But
didn’t you just say that–
THE GUEST
My
name is Noah, Zachary.
ZACHARY
Right.
Look. As much as I would love to stay and chat with you, I really need–
THE GUEST
I
know, Zachary. I’m not sure you do, but I know what you need.
ZACHARY
What?
What the hell are you talking about?
THE GUEST
You
know what I’m talking about, and you know we need to fix it.
I like this play! It is completely unique and doesn't mimic anything else I've read. I wish that I had all the scenes because I'm still a little unsure about who this guest is and what his purpose/goals are. But really nice dialog and very nicely paced. Cool idea.
ReplyDeleteGreat detail, i like where you went with it. With the added scenes and descriptions, it really pulls the play together but i agree with Savita i'm still a little bit unsure about who this guest is. I really like the idea though!!!
ReplyDeleteI am still a little unsure who the guest is/what they are trying to symbolize. Like grace I enjoy reading the added scenes.
ReplyDelete