Monday, January 14, 2013
Writers and their Notebooks: "Sea of Blue Ink"
My favorite part of this piece is how Wilkens talks about her journal as being permanent. She references this idea a few times and I really like how she presents it. Wilkens thinks of her notebook as a record and a reference to look back on her memories when she might not be able to think of them in great detail. This bit actually reminded me of the notebook a little, and made me think about how when we don't remember our lives very well anymore, it could be like ready a story. I really liked how she explained why she uses the notebook and pen that she does. While not everyone would agree with her because it is a personal system, it does make sense. What she writes is permanent, and she wants to remind herself of that as well. In my own experience, when I use a spiral bound sketchbook, I have ripped out pages I didn't like before. I like how she said a bound notebook forces integrity on you, and forces you to leave everything even if it could be embarrassing. Another idea she brings up is on looking back and reading old notebooks. I like the idea of being able to do this because it gives you a different insight on who you were and how much change can happen even when it seems that things are moving slowly. It shows that change isn't as gradual as we perceive it to be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment