Monday, January 28, 2013

Play Draft 1

THE GUEST
By Ellen Valentine
CAST OF CHARACTERS
MR. MILTON, a father, works at the local real estate office
MRS. MILTON, a feminist and mother, works for a non-profit
ZACHARY MILTON, a 17 year-old son, unsure of his future, but a loving family member
CAROLINE MILTON, a 14 year-old daughter, focused on sports
THE GUEST, an unexpected visitor



























SCENE 1
It is midmorning. CAROLINE and ZACHARY are in the yard passing a soccer ball between them. CAROLINE is wearing straight leg jeans with rips in the knees and fitted, but not tight, t-shirt. ZACHARY is wearing shorts and a t-shirt. The yard is to the side of the house, it should be clear that they do not live in an urban city. Light bird chirping is heard.

ZACHARY
Carrie. C’mon, pass the ball!

CAROLINE
Nope! You gotta come get it.

ZACHARY
(Smiling)
Seriously?

CAROLINE
(Running away with the ball)
Yeah. Seriously.

ZACHARY starts to chase CAROLINE. They run around for a while, lights dim very slightly, cricket noises, show that it is slowly turning to evening.

MRS. MILTON
(Walking on stage)
Kids, come on, the farmer’s market is closing in an hour. I don’t want to have to go to Safeway.
(Muttering to herself)
Stupid greedy corporations.

CAROLINE
(Whining)
But we’re practicing!

MRS. MILTON
Caroline! You have time to practice later, now go clean yourself up and be ready in five minutes.

ZACHARY
Come on, Carrie, we can practice more later.

CAROLINE
Fine.

CAROLINE walks off stage, annoyed. ZACHARY and MRS. MILTON follow her off-stage, rolling eyes. ZACHARY grabs the soccer ball. End scene.






SCENE 2

At the farmer’s market. There are a few stalls set up on stage. VENDORS are yelling things such as “Fresh apples here!” or “Organic honey, fresh from the hive!” with signs advertising their products. There is one other couple looking at a fruit and vegetable stand. ZACHARY, CAROLINE, and MRS. MILTON enter.
MRS. MILTON
Okay, Carrie, you get the apples, Zach, you can get the lettuce. Here, take some money, meet me back here when you’re done.

(Hands CAROLINE and ZACHARY each a few bills.)

CAROLINE
Hey, mom, we’re making pie tonight right?

MRS. MILTON
Why do you think I told you to buy the apples?

CAROLINE
Yes!
(Exits)
ZACHARY
Pie? Again?

MRS. MILTON
It’s your sister’s favorite, and it’s not bad, so we might as well.

ZACHARY
Yeah, I know. But really, every week?

MRS. MILTON
Yes! Now go get the lettuce before they close.

ZACHARY exits, MRS. MILTON looks around at the stands, buys a few things from one stand, and exits. End scene.







SCENE 3
In the Milton Household, MRS. MILTON is drying the last dish and stacking it on the counter, she exits, as if going to bed. The lights dim and cricket chirping is heard. It is made to look like night. This passes for about a minute, followed by a flash of lightning with the accompanying sound of thunder. THE GUEST is at the front door and pounds his fist on the door, loud enough to wake someone. MRS. MILTON is seen rushing in from off-stage, putting a dressing gown over her nightdress.



 .....
























(there is a large time jump/more to be written before this scene)

SCENE #
It is midday outside of the Milton household. CAROLINE is wearing a button down blouse and her regular shorts or jeans. She is sitting by the tree in the front yard next to her cleats and soccer ball, reading, instead of practicing with ZACHARY. ZACHARY is dressed as he was in Scene 1, with added dirt and messiness. He still seems normal and is acting like his usual self.

ZACHARY
(walking from offstage towards CAROLINE)
Carrie. What are you wearing? Didn’t you want me to help you practice.

CAROLINE
I’m reading, Zach. Leave me alone. Chris said I should.

ZACHARY
Who the hell is Chris?!

CAROLINE
Seriously? I didn’t realize you were that unobservant. Gabe. The guy who’s been staying with us for three days now?

ZACHARY
Okay. Fine. Gabe, now, I guess. News to me. So where is this ‘Gabe’?

(THE GUEST enters from the off-stage, seemingly coming from the house.)

THE GUEST
Zachary, please, call me John. 

ZACHARY
(rolls eyes, fed up)
Whatever. Carrie, I’ll be inside if you need me.
(ZACHARY makes motions to go back inside)

THE GUEST
Zachary! Wait!

(ZACHARY stops, turns around, and walks over to THE GUEST)

Caroline, please excuse us, dear.

(CAROLINE picks up her book, leaves the soccer gear and exits)

Something seems to be troubling you. Talk to me, let me help you.

ZACHARY
(Sarcasm)
Really? You’re trying to ‘help’ me. Sir. You are the cause of the problem, so no, I don’t think you can help.

THE GUEST
Zachary, Zachary, Zachary. I can help, really. Can’t you see how I’ve helped your family so far? Look how happy they all are!

ZACHARY
That? That’s not happy. That’s soulless.

THE GUEST
Zachary, please, let’s be civil, shall we? Let’s start afresh. Introduce yourself.

ZACHARY
(Rolls eyes and scoffs)
Yeah. I’ll pass.

THE GUEST
(Sternly)
Now, Zachary. Let’s. Be. Civil. Introduce yourself.

9 comments:

  1. The dialog in these scenes is really believable and match each of the characters ages. I think I want to know a little more about each kid's personality and I think you can achieve this by flushing the characters out a little bit (maybe make the scenes a little longer so we get to know them better). I also really like this "guest" fellow and how there is some sort of mystery around who he really is. I was a little confused with what his name is because you used chris, gabe, and john. But overall nice story and dialog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the "whole family" aspect of this play and I love the mystery about The Guest. That is a really clever character that you have created. The pace of this is very good, as each scene does not take too long but yet still gets the point across.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading it!!! I like the beginning a lot and like I said before the relationship between characters is great! I think you should expand a little more in #2

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellen,

    Very nice work!
    I liked how there was little character creation with "the guest", giving him a more ominous feel.
    At the same time I thought that Zachary's angsty tone was a little much at times. This made it hard to connect to Zach's character at times. The pace of the play was fine, but I had difficulty understanding the second act's significance. Maybe you should work on slowing down the second act!

    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked this! i loved the twist of the guest, great creativity:) I found this play a little hard to follow though, i wasn't quite sure of the guests role in the play, i liked it!! but i was a bit confused. Maybe add some more descriptive dialouge between zach and carrie to give the audience more of an idea of who this guest is

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this play. I agree that there is a big piece of information missing when you skipped from the start to to mid play. I think that the younger characters have very realistic dialogue and I think the pace is just right. I like how you set up the whole family dynamic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elles! I really liked this play! I think you did a good job setting up the identities of the family as a whole. However, I think you can set up Caroline's Identitiy a little more. I really like how you described "The Guest" as only the guest, it adds mysteriousness to your play. I really like the storyline. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the story! I would totally go see this play. Its great, and the characters are really well developed. I love the mystery element to it!!

    ReplyDelete